It looks like the long time, former home of Moscot’s Eyewear — a Lower East Side institution — is being demolished to make way for a new, 12-story, mixed-use high rise.
Founded by Hyman Moscot at 94 Rivington Street in 1915, the company expanded and moved to 118 Orchard Street by 1936. The building was purchased by Helm Equities in 2012, for $4.8 million and Moscot moved to 108 Orchard soon after, where it still operates.
Though demolition permits and architectural plans have yet to be approved, 118 Orchard Street is covered in scaffolding, ready for construction crews to make way for a 24-apartment structure.
Rendering of the new development: